ID Card Centre Provides a Bank with Improved Site Access Cards Following a Security Breach
Type: High-security site access control cards
Timescale: 4 days
Client: Global bank
Following a serious physical security breach at a global bank’s site in central London, Head Office swiftly took action to secure the replacement of circa 2500 encoded and numbered staff access cards. Each card contained personal information. ID Card Centre matched uniquely referenced cards containing personal information, including new ID images, and replaced every card.
Customer benefits at a glance:
- Rapid turnaround period
- New staff access cards are much more secure
- 100% record match for three-way variable factors contained within 2500 personalised cards, which had to be reproduced and security-enhanced
- Ability to rectify the failure of a larger supplier within a short timescale
- Secure data processing and card production service on customer’s site
- In-house expertise in discrete artwork and specialist anti-fraud print processes
Following the security breach in London, senior management at the bank’s Head Office needed to prove that they had taken every feasible measure to tighten security. They needed to replace all staff access control cards with passes that would clearly demonstrate stronger security and help prevent further breaches.
Working remotely, ID Card Centre created artwork for an access card template that did not give away the building or the bank to which it belonged, and that would be extremely difficult to copy. Access control cards were encoded to match existing reference numbers, pre-printed by a third party – a world leading manufacturer in access control systems. They were plainly wrapped and delivered to the customer site by a secure courier.
Onsite, ID Card Centre would:
- Set up a temporary production area at the bank itself in a dedicated and locked meeting room
- Load the data and photos onto the laptops
- Crop the images to the correct aspect ratio to provide recognisable head and shoulder ID photographs
- Print data onto the pre-printed cards and apply a sophisticated HoloKote to provide a bespoke overlay to help prevent fraudulent copying.
Unfortunately, although pre-printed cards were delivered to the bank for ID Card Centre to work on, the third-party manufacturer had failed to encode and number them. Their lead time had taken six weeks out of the schedule. Even though the cards were returned immediately, by the time the correct replacements had arrived, ID Card Centre had just over four days to deliver a complex onsite production service.
ID Card Centre set up four mobile specialist ID card print stations onsite and ensured that nothing could physically leave the site or be digitally transferred elsewhere throughout the production process. Here ID photographs were adjusted so that faces were recognisable at a glance.
Once each staff member’s personal information had been prepared onsite and captured for the bank’s future reference, the cards were overprinted with personalised information and then the HoloKote overlay.
Everything matched, and was printed and reprinted with precision in four days. ID Card Centre’s secure site access specialist even managed to incorporate cards for people who had joined since the bank had captured their staff data.
When the cards were completed, all ID related files were securely removed from the laptops and storage devices. The team then configured and implemented the bank’s own card management software, loaded the HoloKote, installed Magicard Rio Pro printers and provided user training.
ID Card Centre continues to supply the bank, providing a secure access card bureau service which is also popular with hospitals, other banks and various large organisations.