So you’ve decided an ID card system is a key way to improve security in your business. Now you need to move the project forward. To help you achieve this, we’ve compiled a list of the essential elements you need to make your ID card system a success.
ID Card Printers
A card printer with the right specification is the first thing to go on any ID card system list of requirements. If you can’t print the ID cards, then you don’t have an ID card system. But what should you be considering in order to get the right card printer for your purposes? Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- How many cards will be printed regularly? Do we need a printer that can cope with high volumes?
- Do cards need to be single or dual sided? Single colour or full colour? What quality of print do we want?
- What level of security do we need? Basic visual ID? Magnetic strips? Smart cards?
ID Card Software
Using software that enables you to design, manage, encode and then print ID cards will make your life so much easier than doing everything manually yourself. The more comprehensive the software package is, the smoother process will be.
We’re keen on recommending CardExchange because it does just that. You can connect it to different databases, create your own design or use a pre-existing template, and encode via magnetic strips or chips etc. too.
Photo ID Cameras
A successful ID system needs decent photographs of each individual. But how do you pick the right ID camera for the job? Here are some features to consider:
- Image quality – Different ID card printers require different resolutions. Check the spec of your printer to ensure the picture quality you desire is the quality you’re going to get.
- Mobility – Will you be taking ID photos in a set location, or does the camera need to be portable? Does the camera also need to be connected to your laptop?
- Lighting – Will you need a flash?
- Backdrop – ID cards always look and work better if the approach is consistent across the organisation. Consider a backdrop for that extra-professional feel.
Which ID cards you use will partly depend on which ID card printer you choose. As with choosing your printer, you’ll need to consider whether you want single or dual sided cards, single or full colour printing, what photo quality you want, and what level of security you’re aiming for.
An ID card printer is nothing without the right printer ribbon for the job. If you’re printing photo quality ID pictures, you’ll need four colour CMYK ribbons. However, if you’re just printing text or single colour, then monochrome ribbons will be fine.
In addition to colour options, you’ll need to consider whether you’re wanting a protective overlay. And dual sided printing will require a dual sided ribbon. If your print runs are large, then buying high capacity ribbons, though more expensive, will work out cheaper on a cost per print basis.
To keep your ID card printer in good working order so it doesn’t let you down at a critical moment, it’s sensible to have a cleaning kit to hand at all times… and for it to be used regularly! If you do this, you’ll also ensure the print quality remains consistent. In general, the following items will be included in a cleaning kit:
- Printhead cleaning pens
- Extra long and/or short cleaning cards
- Cleaning cloths
- Cleaning rollers
To make your ID card system easy to use, it’s worth considering certain accessories such as lanyards, badge reels, badge holders and badge clips.
A great supplier!
And what we mean by a great supplier, is a supplier that not only specialises in ID card systems but has experience of implementing them too. A little knowledge can go a long way in choosing the right setup for your business.
Add to that exceptional customer service, hassle free returns, a best price guarantee and next working day delivery and your ID card system will be an asset to your business.
If you’re thinking of implementing an ID card system within your organisation, but don’t know where to start, then give us a ring. We’d be delighted to talk through your options in more detail.
Contact ID Card Centre today on 01604 422422 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org